Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Chronicles of Kalmar #4- Be careful what you wish for

I have entitled this note so because I want to warn all of you, my friends, to be very wary of what you say and how you say it. One day all those 'I wish' will come to count for something... 

By now I can imagine you must be having like 15 conspiracy theories going through your mind. So let me dispel said conspiracy theories. On Wednesday, I was slowly (excruciatingly) making my way home on my bike thinking about what I was gonna write in this week's note. My days had become very very boring after last week, so I was afraid I was gonna disappoint my fans. I made the mistake of exclaiming to myself 'I wish I had some drama this week'. And thus started my series of unfortunate events. a few minutes after that, some dude rode up in front of me and stopped abruptly and started speaking to me in Swedish. I asked him to speak in English and when he did, what he said threw me into confusion. "That's my bike, somebody stole it from me last week." he told me, a look of anger spreading over his face. I got so confused I was struck speechless. My first reaction was to reach for my phone to call Henrik, my student mentor. The guy interpreted this as a diversionary tactic and he started mouthing off how I should give him the bike right there and then or he would take me to the police and he loved his bike and it was a one-of-a-kind bike and blah-blah-blah. All that while I kept on trying to call Henrik and Tommy, but somehow I couldn't get through to them (figures, eh?) After like 5 minutes of trying, the guy got so flippin mad he decided that the best way to solve that matter was to take it up with the police. At the mention of the police, you can imagine my reaction. But thankfully, my head had started clearing up and I was able to cool him down a bit. He was still insistent on us going to the police and the one thing that really annoys me now that I think of it is that he was treating me with very liitle respect at that time because he had the audacity to ask me "You know where the police station is,right?" when we were within sight of the station. 

Anywhoo, the whole way to the police station, I talked the guy out of his frenzy and he was able to listen to the voice of reason to report that he had found the bike. When we reached the station and after a bit of waiting, a nice police woman came out to handle the case. Mind you it was 2 degrees minus wind chill and we sorted the whole thing outside. By the time the police womna came outside there, I could barely dial the phone to call Henrik. Talking about Henrik, when I texted him that somebody was saying that the bike was stolen, he actually thought it was my way of getting back to him for that prank he and Tommy pulled last week. It took a lot of insistence and handing the phone between me and the alleged owner of the bike before he realized I was actually outside the police station and in a lot of deep shit. Now back to that story. I had to give my details to the police lady, like where I live and how long I was staying in the country and all that. The whole time I was praying whoever she was reading them to on the other side of that radio would slip up and forget to write the full details (O how I so did wish) But by the time the police woman was asking whether it was ok for me to hand over the bike to the guy, I actually saw that he was very unsure about the bike. But I think he decided to take it coz he had come all that way and he would look very stupid if he did say it wasn't his. When we all parted ways, he actually smiled at me and sayed cheers (ironic, eh?) 

So I am on police records in Kalmar that I was found riding a 'stolen' bike. But let me reiterate that bike was not stolen. It was too unique for me to risk riding it if it was. I think that guy was just too eager to get his bike back that his mind cheated him that it was the one. But you know, everything that goes around comes around. Karma will bite him in the ass one day soon for spoiling my otherwise good day. 

My series of unfortunate events extends to yesterday. After a brilliant night out at a karaoke competition with the rest of the crew, I had borrowed a friend's extra bike to use for a while. I rode it home and the next morning, I rode it to class. Coming out of class however,I noticed it had a flat tyre on the back. So I had to walk it back home. A whole hour of walking. Not fun. 
Being that today is Friday the 13th, I am praying that the jinx is gonna be broken. I have had enough of unfortunate events!!!! 

Side notes: 
On the up-side, I had so so much fun at karaoke on Wednesday night. I ruled that karaoke competition :-D And my friends forced me to sing at the live music session the next day (Not that I minded it much :-D) 
On the down-side, I don't have a voice to speak very loudly now. But I am cultivating a very sexy James Brown kind of bass...."Let's get it on!" 
Tonight I salsa. I am gonna ressurect those days spent in the Aerobics room when I was a freshman. I wonder if I will remember some of the tricks we were taught. 
I like the attention I get around here coz I am one of the few black guys and the only Kenyan. But I am running out of business cards as a result. I need some emergency intervention from home. Anyone? 

More of the Chronicles of Kalmar shall come to you after this short commercial break...

No comments:

Post a Comment