Saturday, April 9, 2011

The perfect job

There's a word for what I am right now. In between jobs. That's the politically correct term. Everyone goes through this once in a while. Those times when it just seems like all hope has somehow gotten lost in the murky unknown that is 'tarmacking'.

I usually try to keep myself busy when I'm in between jobs by trying to imagine what it'd be like to have that perfect job. The best job in the world. According to some competition run by the New Zealand tourism board some time back, that best job is apparently a position as an island caretaker. That job entails visiting and exploring the islands of the great barrier reef and reporting back to the world about them on a blog. For that, the winner of the competition now gets paid some 11,000 US dollars, free accommodation and food and one hella great time. I should at this point confess I did apply for that position during one of the periods I was between jobs last year. CLEARLY, I didn't get it.

However, there is one major important thing that this being in between jobs (A.K.A freelance work) has taught me. The thing about the perfect job that makes it so perfect is you, the worker. If you don't enjoy travelling, adventure and nature, the New Zealand definition of the perfect job is your living hell. If you do enjoy whatever it is you do, be it air traffic control, street sweeping, or even shooting movies, and you do it with all of your heart, you have the perfect job. And nobody can change that.

So, take it from me, once you learn to love your job, well, you're on your way to the perfect job :-D
Now, lemme go back to scouring the papers for open position ;-)
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

No comments:

Post a Comment