Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Chronicles of Kalmar #2 - Of Nairobi-like weather in Kalmar

t's the end of February and the weather here doesn't seem like it wants to decide that a change of season is nigh. On friday, it was hot. Ok, not nairobi hot, (coz I hear down there you guys are cookin eggs on the tarmac from cafe to the gate) but the sun was out and the snow started melting and it was pretty cool. Then saturday morning, the snow decides to fall. And I know all you guys will be like "wow! Snow!" but that stuff ain't nothing to write home about. It sticks on your jacket and becomes ice. it gets in your eyes, nose and mouth and its annoyingly cold. I refuse not that it looks good, but it's not fun walking as far as I do walk sometimes while it is snowing. 
So you would think that it would snow for a couple of days then stop. Yesterday, it was so warm the whole day, we actually lost like 30 percent of the snowfall from daturday. But at night, it rained. Yes, it rained. That was interesting for me, seeing that it had been snowing the previous morning. Today is another whole different story. It doesn't wanna decide if its raining or snowing. Which reminds me of Nairobi weather. You know, it will be sunny in the morning, but by the time you get to the buses its raining and when you get to USIU it's hot again. Right now, its snowing outside. Big fat snowflakes that lok like somebody is pouring powder soap from the sky. 
The weather aside, I kinda like Kalmar. The nightlife in Kalmar is very interesting. Saturday was ladies night at the student run club (corehouse). Now what happens here is that guys come together for pre-parties at hostels before they leave for corehouse or wherever the party is at. So on saturday, there were 2 parties in my hostel block. But the one that was really kicking was the one across the hall from my room. A bunch of Polish students had organized a nice little party and they invited us. Suffice to say, it rocked. And the alcohol was a plenty. I admire how the Polish drink. It reminded me of good days at Mwendas with flaming lambourghinis and AK47's. 
Corehouse was a whole new experience for me. It's a big-ish joint, with 2 floors. The one thing that I just love is that the DJ actually had a video for almost every song he played. Even the really old school jams he dropped every so often. There had been an 80's themed party somewhere so many girls especially had on really nice looking old school outfits. I think USIU SAC should really look into opening a joint of their own. Or taking over Fifi's :-D Anyway, the one thing I love about being the only other black dude around here is that few can match my dancing skills, however horrible they really are :-D So let's jsut say I danced the night away. And I have not partied like that in ages. I like how these guys party. The floor wasn't crowded, so there was space to dance. And the people were really freely dancing. And the energy was amazing. Maybe next week I will pull some breakdance moves :-P 


Side Notes: 
I will upload photos of Kalmar as soon as I can get a comp to get them off my camera 
I am stuck at this place until it stops snowing. I am not walking 2.5 KM in a snow shower 
There's a Ferrari showroom somewhere close to my hostel...really thinkin about checkin it out 
The Polish have an interesting way of psyching up for a shot. It involves alot of clapping and slappin the table. Loud, proud and fun :-D 
Interestingly enough, I don't miss home. Am I wierd? 
Swedish cable television rocks. The End! Tonight I watch Chuck. SUck on that haters :-P 

No comments:

Post a Comment