Monday, August 23, 2010

Episode 6

It was one of those unbearable days. The city streets were chock-full of people. They resembled angry fire ants pouring out of a recently broken mound. The roads were clogged with city dwellers on their way home, traffic moving slower than a mortally injured sloth. The heat didn't make it any better. It seemed to roll in; in heat waves off the roads, and cars, and buildings, and everything, whether living or man-made. Drivers felt as though they were slowly going mad in metal ovens. Pedestrians who braved walking in the sun felt like their feet were being roasted on a high power grill.

But Matthias was not aware of the weather outside. He sat, muscles tensed, in a plush office. He had been sitting there for about half an hour;Kayla was perched on the windowsill, perfectly formed and perfectly calm, waiting for 'her boss.'

Matthias was racking his brains. This web was getting a tad too tangled. Who was Kayla working for? And why did whoever it was want to see him? What would Mr. Kilonzo say when he found out about this unusual rendez-vous? Damn.

The door opened. Matthias almost fainted when Kim walked in. She was dressed in mute black. " Hi Kayla," she quipped as she turned around to close the door. Now it was her turn to almost faint when she saw Matthias. " What th...what're you doing here?" she stammered as she tried to comprehend what was happening.
" First, you tell me what you're doing here." Matthias replied. He was getting angry, but his legs were too weak to support him. Kim stood rooted to the spot, trying to make words that wouldn't come. Kayla got off the ledge and directed her sister to one of the couches in the room facing the big mahogany desk that was in its centre.
" So?"
" I....I didn't mean for you to find out like this. I mean, I would've told you eventually, but-"
" But what? You were waiting until I googled you? Why are you here? Tell me the truth, Kim!" Matthias burst out desperately.
" Oh come on, you too. Spare me the sentimental brouhaha." Kayla interrupted." Hold the lovers' spat for a bit, won't you just?" A tapping sound was heard. Then the door creaked open, and all the heads in the room turned towards it. There was a pregnant pause before Kim almost whispered in disbelief, " Dad?"

Michael Smith walked in, his electric presence causing an instant imbalance in the tension of the room. He said nothing as he sat down behind the desk, in a chair that looked just as commanding and elegant as he was. Matthias had a fleeting reminder of Mario Puzo's The Godfather. He must have looked exactly as Mr. Smith looked right now, with his back turned to them on his massive leather chair." Thank you all for coming so quickly. It appears there is no need for introductions, so we can get right down to business."
" Business? Father?!" Kim exclaimed as she stood up and started towards the desk. Kayla moved to restrain her.
" My child. You will know all when the time is right,'' said Mr. Smith as he swivelled in his chair to face them.
'' I trust you understand why you are here, Matthias." His ice-blue eye gazed at Matthias.
'' I thought I did. Now I'm just confused," came the reply.
'' You know Mr. Kilonzo is dead." A pause.
'' Now I do. i presume you had something to do witht that, seeing as you are privy to that information before the press,'' said Matthias bitterly. '' What does that have to do with my being here?''
'' Everything, Matthias. You are now a lone ranger, and I am in need of one of those. Work for me, and I will pay you double what Simon paid you."
" I have others who I work with. I cannot simply end my contract or go AWOL." There was another period of silence. The tension in the room was akin to fresh molasses; thick and sticky.
" You're not just a university student, are you." Kim said flatly.
" I can explain-"
"No thanks. And you, my own family, have been keeping secrets from me? You know what, I don't even want to know." Spinning on her heel, Kim stalked out the door.
" She's a bit precocious. She'll come round,'' said Mr. Smith, unmoved. '' So, Matthias?''
'' If you have secrets from your own daughter, how can I trust you?'' spat out Matthias.
'' Young man, I'm paying you so I can have secrets. You are not my partner, you are my employee."
Matthias paused.'' I need some time to think it over.''
''You have a week.'' Matthias looked up. '' Leave.'' That's it? It was over? '' Kayla,show him out.'' Apparently so.

The sunlight hit him like a six-by-four. He tried to clear his head and focus his thoughts. First plan of action-find Kim.

No comments:

Post a Comment