Monday, August 23, 2010

Episode 1

This is what happens when you put 2 bored creatives in the back bench in Murej's class...

It was a moonless night. The weak light of the star field above could do nothing to dispel the oppressive darkness that enveloped every nook and cranny available. The forefathers would have called that an omen of course.

Mathias was the kind of man who didn’t care much for omens and old wives tales. He trekked through the night, silent like the darkness. In his mind he was thinking about the events of the day gone by. He wondered if he or any of his classmates deserved the news that he was going to deliver when he got to his hostel room. What an omen it was.

A dark blue sedan slipped through the darkness, lights switched off. Hadn’t it been for the low roar of its powerful engine, Mathias would have lost a limb or two or his life. He jumped off the road into a ditch just in time as the car flew by. As he struggled to get up out of the ditch, cursing under his breath the whole time, he heard the screech of tires on blacktop, door open and slam shut.

“Are you ok? I’m so sorry, I didn’t see you there.” He heard a voice akin to an auditory orgasm, sparks and all, say. As he climbed out of the ditch, the voice got a body. In the dim light of the brakes on her car, he marveled at the legs and the curves. Regardless of the fact that he could barely see her, he could tell that she was no plain Jane. Her dark hair fell in sensual waves around her face, hiding it within.

“Umm, excuse me. Are you okay?” she ventured again. He realized that he had been staring at her the whole time. He smiled.
“I’m fine. Just a small knock on the head. Nothing life threatening really.” ‘Stop babbling you fool’ he thought to himself.
“Well, can I at least give you a ride somewhere? A hospital maybe?” she asked, the concern sounding in her voice.
“I guess that you can give me a lift to my place. That’s where I was heading.” Mathias replied.
“Ok, jump into my car and give me the directions.” She replied, her tone of voice changing as relief set in.

In the dim light emanating from the dashboard of the car, her ethereal beauty captured Mathias. He couldn’t help but stare.
“My name is Kim by the way.” She said, trying to break the ominous silence that had enveloped the inside of the car.
“My name is Mathias by the way.”
“Sorry again for almost running you over. I don’t know what I was thinking driving without my lights on.”
“It’s ok. A small knock on the head is good for a man.” Mathias joked. She burst into giggles, her laughter sounding like an exotic waterfall in a faraway paradise. Mathias liked it.
“So where is this I am taking you?” Kim asked as she turned to look at him.
“The…the…the University of Nairobi hostels on Waiyaki way.” He stuttered, caught off guard by her striking beauty.
“Oh, so you’re a student?”
“Yes I am. Third year Economics.’
“You don’t say! Which classes do you take?…”

The conversation went on till the dark blue sedan pulled up outside Mathias’ hostel, the sound of gravel thrown up by its wide tires clattering against the foliage in front of the hostel breaking the stillness of the night. By then, Mathias had learnt that Kim was one of his classmates, albeit she was an evening student. During the day she worked at an advertising agency as a creative director.

“Umm…umm… Guess I’ll see you around?” Mathias asked as he got out of the car.
“I guess so. Sure” Kim answered.
With that, Mathias closed the car door and as it pulled away, he jerked himself out of a daydream and almost tripped over a bottle that was lying on the driveway. As always, hw had forgotten to ask for her number and he was dreaming of what would transpire if she suddenly turned her car around and came back. He turned and walked up to the door, reaching into his jacket pocket to get his room key. His hand grasped only cold air. Mathias quickly racked his brain, wondering where he might have left his jacket. That was when it hit him. He had forgotten his jacket in Kim’s car.

The next morning, life went on as usual. Mathias went on with his daily activities, but two things remained engraved on the fabric of his mind: his secret announcement and his chance encounter of the night before. He couldn’t forget her eyes. He couldn’t deceive himself that he wasn’t thinking about her. He would surreptitiously look carefully at every female who crossed his path and start every time a wave of dark hair caught his eye.

“Hi.” The auditory orgasm again, this time in Technicolor. In the light of the morning sun, Kim was even more beautiful than he could imagine. She made her way up to him, her smile dimming the sun’s rays. She opened her arms and gave Mathias a great big hug, shocking him once more.
“That was unexpected.” He remarked as he tried to regain his composure.

“I didn’t think we would meet again this soon. You forgot your coat in my car yester night. I was worried that you would freeze to death without it by the time I saw you again.” Kim said as she ran her hand along his shirt. The shy grin on her face confirmed her honesty.
“Then this must be my lucky day.” Mathias replied, great hallelujahs going off in his mind. “Was that an angel’s chorus? Nope, just an angel talking” he thought to himself.
“So I should get your number” Kim said as she pulled out her phone from her handbag.
“Huh?” Mathias was struck dumb by the fact that she was asking for his number.
‘Wait. It’s so that I can get my coat. Right.” He mused in his mind.
“You have class right now?” he asked.
“I’m late actually.” Kim replied. Again, the brilliant smile. Mathias had to remind his legs not to crumple under him. He gave her his number and said, “Flash me so that I can get yours.”
“I’ll talk to you as soon as I get out of class.” Kim said as she turned and walked off quickly towards the lecture halls. Mathias’ phone vibrated as she walked away. He took it out of his pocket with a smile, and then did a double take. Wait a minute, Tanya?

No comments:

Post a Comment